Ageing Around The Eyes
There are some things in life that cannot be avoided, and one of them is aging. Unfortunately, the signs of aging begin around the eyes in your late 30s or early 40s and worsen with age. The upper eyelid, brow, and lower eyelid all play important roles in the eye area’s aesthetics.
The common ageing signs
- Excess eyelid skin that gets thin and loose
- Excess skin on your eyelashes that covers the ‘eye shadow space’.
- Absent or a very high eyelid crease.
- Uneven position of the eyelid margins (which is often due to a droopy eyelid).
- Excessive upper eyelid fullness due to bulging and sagging fat.
- Droopy eyebrow
If your only issue is excess skin and all other eyelid supporting structures are in good condition, a skin-only Blepharoplasty is appropriate. This procedure removes excess upper eyelid skin under local anesthesia and takes approximately 45 minutes. This procedure removes excess skin while also targeting deeper tissues such as fat, muscle, and connective tissue. Excess skin is one aspect of eyelid aging, but so are excess fat, increased muscle activity and bulk, loose connective tissue, weak tendons, and droopy brows, all of which must be addressed for the best results. This process can take up to 90 minutes.
Lower eyelid aging is largely determined by the aging of the bone in the under-eye area, and to a lesser extent by the skin and soft tissue. This may appear to be counter-intuitive, but it is correct. As you age the bone withinside the under-eye area shrinks, and as a result, the eyebags bulge, the eyelids become free and saggy and the under-eye grooves emerge as deeper.
The common ageing signs
- Excessive hollowing due to soft tissue and bony loss.
- The lower eyelid is pulled down
- Excessive bulging fat causing eyebags.
- Droopy corners of eyelids giving the eyelids a “sad look”.
- Excess thin and loose skin.
Lower Eyelid surgery is possible by correcting the following ageing changes:
- Excess skin
- Excess bulging fat
- Loose and saggy eyelids
- Deep grooves under the eyebags, and
- Flat and droopy cheek.
Brow Lift Surgery
Because the brows are closely linked to the upper eyelid and brow aesthetics influence the overall appearance of the eye area, brow lift surgery is frequently combined with upper eyelid surgery.
A brow lift performed at the same time as upper eyelid surgery is effective if the brows are low and droopy. A brow lift can be performed endoscopically, externally, or internally. The external approach leaves a scar that is visible for 3-6 months before gradually dissolving.